Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Flying to the Pacific West Coast of America

Philip Munslow2012-03-25 12:53:23

Hi, I wonder if anyone has taken their tandem this far?
Would be grateful for any tips or advice on flying long haul with a tandem, including an internal flight while we're there.
Lots of logistics that we're struggling to get our head around to come up with the right solution!
The trip we intend to take is from Heathrow to Los Angeles, then internal flight to Seattle. We'll then pedal from Seattle to LA over 6 weeks.

Packing the bike safely and travelling with it seems to be quite a mission. We've even considered buying a tandem while we're out there then selling it to a bike shop to save on the hassle

Has anyone any advice?

Thanks in advance
Phil

John Lewis2012-03-25 18:59:56

: Hi, I wonder if anyone has taken their tandem this far?
: Would be grateful for any tips or advice on flying long haul with a tandem,
: including an internal flight while we're there.
: Lots of logistics that we're struggling to get our head around to come up
: with the right solution!
: The trip we intend to take is from Heathrow to Los Angeles, then internal
: flight to Seattle. We'll then pedal from Seattle to LA over 6 weeks.

: Packing the bike safely and travelling with it seems to be quite a mission.
: We've even considered buying a tandem while we're out there then selling
: it to a bike shop to save on the hassle

: Has anyone any advice?

: Thanks in advance
: Phil

Firstly, Unless things have changed, if you plan to be in the USA for more than 90 days you will need a Visa, my advice is to apply for a ten year one. No matter which way you do it, be prepared for a hard time from the US authorities they will want proof/assurance that you intend to return to the UK and have sufficient funds, you will have to appear in person(s) to the USA authorites in London. Take your bank account details and if you own your property, details of that as well. I know of one individual who was put back on the next available flight back to the UK for failing to declare a drink driving offence here in the UK. Applying for your next 10 year Visa is just a formality but still needing a visit to London.

Flew to Seattle twice from the UK, once Boston to Heathrow, once Seattle to Heathrow by British Airways and once Anchorage to Seattle by Alaskan Airlines. The USA insist on a box for the tandem and we found it best to contact a bike shop near the USA airport for the shop to supply a box when needed at the going rate. On one trip it was over 4 months before we contacted the bike shop, we always had a suitable box made available. Much easier to use a tandem box, Santana make a suitable one that will swallow a long base tandem complete with carriers and mudguards.

No doubt you will receive advice on how to pack your tandem. In case it is not mentioned, I removed the rear derailleur to prevent any damage to the derailleur or hanger. The only problem we have had was the transfer flight at Seattle from Anchorage resulting in a slighly modified front low rider and a missing petrol fueled camping stove (no surprise).

Take two credit cards from two different credit card companies in case you loose one. Tell the bank what you are up to and for them to expect payments to be requested in the USA. Draw out a wodge of cash rather then bits and pieces, check with your credit card company to find out what charges will be made for cash and credit card payments due to the currency exchange rates.

Richard Irving2012-04-03 20:52:23

I took my partner, a tandem, a solo, child seat and two daughters aged 1 and 6 to San Francisco with remarkably little difficulty in 1995. We returned with all the above and a new BOB Yak trailer. Back then pipe lagging, reversing the pedals, rotating the bars and lowering tyre pressure was all that was asked of us; a box would be easier but you might need two. I believe that United insisted on a box on the return journey. More damage resulted(easily rectified at the airport)from this, paradoxically. I found it all so easy getting to the airport that for the last 10 years I have preferred to cycle to and from Heathrow from the centre of London where I live for all flights in preference to any other form of transport on the grounds that it is quicker, easier and parking is free, convenient and secure; it also encourages me to carry as little as possible when travelling; an essential discipline if you value speed and convenience

The point is that the distance is immaterial. Enjoy your trip. I think the only advice I can offer is to maintain a genial and purposeful attitude and be indifferent to difficult as well as disbelieving staff. It is, after all, a quite harmless machine that packs easily in an aircraft hold when properly prepared.

Good luck!

: Hi, I wonder if anyone has taken their tandem this far?
: Would be grateful for any tips or advice on flying long haul with a tandem,
: including an internal flight while we're there.
: Lots of logistics that we're struggling to get our head around to come up
: with the right solution!
: The trip we intend to take is from Heathrow to Los Angeles, then internal
: flight to Seattle. We'll then pedal from Seattle to LA over 6 weeks.

: Packing the bike safely and travelling with it seems to be quite a mission.
: We've even considered buying a tandem while we're out there then selling
: it to a bike shop to save on the hassle

: Has anyone any advice?

: Thanks in advance
: Phil