Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Flying with Tandem

Bob Watkinson2012-01-24 10:45:32

Im looking for peoples experiences of flying with a boxed tandam and specifically what did you do with your box at the other end so that you could use it for the return flight?

Many thanks

Bob

clive2012-01-24 13:25:36

: Im looking for peoples experiences of flying with a boxed tandam and
: specifically what did you do with your box at the other end so that you
: could use it for the return flight?

Unhelpful answer : I didn't use a box, I used a big plastic bag as supplied by CTC. Or two. These are probably rather easier to stash. This was with virgin and thomas cook.

I did once use a box with easyjet - tying it to the roof of a hire car without a roofrack was amusing.

Mark Silver2012-01-26 10:27:18

We also use plastic bags. I've found two separate sources for large, sturdy ones: upholsterers and wheelchair suppliers. Both use such things for packaging their wares. The rolled up bags can then be carried although we left ours at where we stayed near the airport, and picked them up on our return. However polythene bags offer little scope for attachment of labels, and virtually no mechanical protection. Combined with the glorious uncertainty as to whether the oversize luggage check-in lot will even allow the damn thing into their system, means we've reluctantly decided not to go to Majorca at Easter as we have for many years, but put the tandem (without a plastic bag!) on the roof rack and go to the Peak District instead.

Bob watkinson2012-02-04 14:05:03

Cheers guys. I'm sot of paranoid that if I leave a collapsed box for a hotel to look after somebody might chuck it out thinking they were tidying up. I can just imagine standing there, no box, flight in the morning, OMG!

Peter Brown2012-02-15 09:45:19

: Cheers guys. I'm sot of paranoid that if I leave a collapsed box for a hotel
: to look after somebody might chuck it out thinking they were tidying up. I
: can just imagine standing there, no box, flight in the morning, OMG!

Warning! Easyjet have upped their check-in standards for bikes. Plastic bags or wrapping is no longer acceptable. They must either be boxed (or at least wrapped in cardboard) or be in a substantial bag - described to me as one that you can punch without damage. We have flown our tandem around 40 times, with it originally naked, but in recent years wrapped in plastic. Five days ago however, we were almost refused by Easyjet at Bristol airport, with the bike wrapped in plastic aheet. Two days ago we were actually refused boarding at Barcelona by Easyjet's ground handling agents, who do their check-ins at the overseas airports - they are not Easyjet employees, and they get 'punished' apparently if they accept an item not wrapped in accordance with Easyjet's standards. Easyjet have recently issued fresh standards, but the precise wording is not available to the public, so far as I know. Anyway, we had to rebook for the following day (60 Euros each, plus hotel!) and pack the bike properly. We pulled cadboard out to the recycling bins on the street, and used a long roll of strong tape to wrap the bike - very awkward and time-consuming. Big problem. Suggestions would be welcome.
We've never had any significant damage, by the way. I've fitted a derailleur guard to the end of the rear pin/axle to protect the mech - about £2 - nothing else apart from pedals off and turning the handlebars parallel to the frame.