Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Flying with tandem

Christopher Davison2011-05-17 17:04:30

In 2 weeks time we are booked to fly to Copenhagen with SAS. The airline has agreed to take the tandem - we had to email them the weight and dimensions. We plan to strip the tandem of chainsets and derailer and turn the bars. We need to enclose the bike in heavy duty polythene bags to protect it and other luggage. Does anyone know where we can buy such large heavy duty polythene bags ?.

Alex Hudghton2011-05-18 09:40:45

: In 2 weeks time we are booked to fly to Copenhagen with SAS. The airline has
: agreed to take the tandem - we had to email them the weight and
: dimensions. We plan to strip the tandem of chainsets and derailer and turn
: the bars. We need to enclose the bike in heavy duty polythene bags to
: protect it and other luggage. Does anyone know where we can buy such large
: heavy duty polythene bags ?.

Mattress bags here ;

http://www.transpack.co.uk/list-products.asp?subcat=7

clive2011-05-18 17:18:22

: In 2 weeks time we are booked to fly to Copenhagen with SAS. The airline has
: agreed to take the tandem - we had to email them the weight and
: dimensions. We plan to strip the tandem of chainsets and derailer and turn
: the bars. We need to enclose the bike in heavy duty polythene bags to
: protect it and other luggage. Does anyone know where we can buy such large
: heavy duty polythene bags ?.

CTC shop is where I got mine - used two for the MTB, possibly only one for the road tandem with wheel off. That said, I can't find them now :-(

mark Silver2011-05-23 17:34:32

A year or three back I worked in a corner of the NHS which provided wheelchairs. These came in from the manufacturers in reasonably stout polythene bags. Once the chair had been set up for the patient, this oversize plastic bag was finished with, and was thrown away.

I've flown our tandem around Europe in these bags.

It might be worth charming your local NHS wheelchair supplier, to see if things are still like this.