Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

2003 Dawes Galaxy Twin Measurement

Quentin Field-Boden2024-09-05 06:30:43

Good Morning

Slightly odd situation but I need some information about my own tandem as at the moment I don't have access to it as it is in Mallorca, shown in the picture, we bought the tandem from JD Tandems in Gargrave in 2003 and it serves us well to this day.

I am thinking of installing a better stoker suspension seat post but what I need to know is the INTERNAL diameter of the stoker seat tube so that I can determine what will and won't fit and what shim(s) I might need.

If anyone knows this information or has one of these tandems would you be able to let me know or measure the internal diameter of your stoker seat tube?

Many thanks,

Quentin.

Robert Lyon2024-09-05 07:31:40
I bought a 28.6 post for my aluminium framed galaxy twin but It also needs a coke can shim so I think 28.8. I'm not sure if that's wear or not though. It looks similar but mine has disc brakes and is green.
David Gray2024-09-05 11:41:39
It might be worth asking JD Tandems where you bought it from, from what I read on the forum they are very helpful and knowledgeable 
Michael Brooks2024-09-05 12:49:05
https://outlet.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/bikes/adult-bikes/tandems/dawes-galaxy-twin-unisex-tandem-bike-700c 

Seatpost: Front; 28.6mm x 450mm. Rear; 30.4mm x 450mm  I can't vouch for the accuracy of this.  Personally I would get a 27.2 seatpost and you can get shims from Amazon next day! Lots more choice in 27.2 seatposts.

Quentin Field-Boden2024-09-05 21:13:28

Michael

Thank you, that is extremely helpful, I had no idea about that source yes

Q

Brian Fox2024-09-06 11:49:41

I have a Cane Creek thudbuster which doesn't fit our new tandem, was going to advertise it here once I have all the other bits and pieces ready from the old machine.

You're welcome to it for, say, £50 posted? (they're over £150 new) Let me know if interested.  You do need to ensure there's enough height below the saddle; I think you'd be OK looking at that pic.

I think it's 27.2 but will measure up to confirm.  It also has a shim to a larger size - again I can confirm later.

Quentin Field-Boden2024-09-06 12:27:21

Hi Brian

I would be very interested in this item if it's a 27.2, I'm after the G4 ST, is this the model you might have available? My email address is qfieldboden@gmail.com if you have any pics I'd be grateful. Many thanks,

Q

Brian Fox2024-09-06 13:16:19

Will measure and email pics later.  Ours is the full travel version, not the compact one, not sure the model number but daresay it's stamped on somewhere.