Wanted

Things wanted.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

SR SUNTOUR Sp12-ncx Seatpost

Pete Norman2021-08-17 22:13:18

I'm trying to purchase a Suntour Suspension Set post diameter 31.6, with a soft spring for a stoker weighing 50kg. I can only find posts with springs for 65kg+.

any ideas anyone?

thanks Pete Norman

Matthew Stephens 2021-08-17 23:57:41

Hi, I can't help with your specific suntour question I'm afraid

But,  if your search comes up blank, then I'd suggest the excellent Cane Creek thudbusters which come with three interchangeable elastomers. The soft elastomer is rated 45-68kg. They do an optional extra soft one for <45kg. Unfortunately they are more expensive. 

Good luck

Ted Savoie2021-08-18 10:51:14

Hi

The SR website says they only do two spring options for NCX, either soft or hard.  I have fitted one on our latest tandem, stoker 57kg and it works perfectly, so much so that I have not even checked which spring option is fitted.

I used the NCX as it is lower profile than the thudbusters we used on other tandems, so a larger rear seattube is possible with the same stoker.  The thudbuster did give huge options on elastomers, I used them succesfully over a 55 to 125kg range.

An alternative is the Santana sus posts which I used on a couple of their tandems, with appropriate shim they will fit your seat tube, and work brilliantly on road tandems, with much lower profile than either SR or Thudbuster.

Good luck, a happy stoker is the key to all things.

Ted Savoie2021-08-18 10:51:14

Hi

The SR website says they only do two spring options for NCX, either soft or hard.  I have fitted one on our latest tandem, stoker 57kg and it works perfectly, so much so that I have not even checked which spring option is fitted.

I used the NCX as it is lower profile than the thudbusters we used on other tandems, so a larger rear seattube is possible with the same stoker.  The thudbuster did give huge options on elastomers, I used them succesfully over a 55 to 125kg range.

An alternative is the Santana sus posts which I used on a couple of their tandems, with appropriate shim they will fit your seat tube, and work brilliantly on road tandems, with much lower profile than either SR or Thudbuster.

Good luck, a happy stoker is the key to all things.

Guy Preece2021-08-18 11:04:13

Hi,

I recently purchased a soft spring for riders <60kgs direct from Suntour in the US. They offer 3 spring rates:

Soft: <60 kgs, Medium: 60-90 kgs, Hard 90-120 kgs

Seatposts come with the Medium rate spring installed, soft and hard are replacement options.

The soft spring was approx £11.00 and shipping £12.00 with it arriving in approximately 7-days.

The seatpost works well for my wife who's around 50kgs.

Pete Norman2021-08-18 13:09:33
Thanks everyone I've followed Guys lead, thread closed