Wanted

Things wanted.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Roof Carrier

2021-06-27 11:19:49

Either Helton or JDT swing styles considered

Mike Dunning2021-08-12 16:11:18

Hi

Are you still looking for a tandem roof carrier? I have a German-made TUV lift carrier surplus to requirements. Let me know if you're interested.

Mike

Paul Cooper2021-08-12 16:34:51

High Mike

We did buy one, but yours sound might be more robust.

Can you send some details?

Thanks!

Paul

paul.cooper"at"doctors.org.uk

(replace "at" with @)

Mike Dunning2021-08-14 12:13:41

Hi Paul

Please see photos of carrier hoist below. It is a German-made device, well engineered and easy to use. The original owner reduced the length of one of the extension bars so the overall length of the carrier is 220cm instead of 256cm. You'll need the check the wheel base of your tandem to make sure it fits. I'm asking £125 for the carrier. I'm told you can't buy them new any more and when last commercially available they cost around £350.

Regards

Mike

Hi Paul

Please see photos of carrier hoist below. It is a German-made device, well engineered and easy to use. The original owner reduced the length of one of the extension bars so the overall length of the carrier is 220cm instead of 256cm. You'll need the check the wheel base of your tandem to make sure it fits. I'm asking £125 for the carrier. I'm told you can't buy them new any more and when last commercially available they cost around £350.

Regards

Mike

Hi Paul

Regards

Mike

Paul Cooper2021-08-17 21:53:39
Thanks, but do you have to lift the tandem up onto the carrier? You say it is "swing" but I can't see if it has a swing mechanism? Paul
2021-08-18 08:52:15

Hi

it would be useful to see the tandem mounted and in position if possible. I currently transport on a tow bar rack but would like a roof rack system if I could find something robust enough to carry 30Kgs and assist with the lift onto the roof.

Any advice would be welcomed.

2022-03-28 16:27:22
We have an Orbit electric tandem which is problematic for roof mounting given that I struggle to reach 5ft. Had anyone a suggestion for an assisted hoist or, better still, got one available/ to recommend?
tony barcroft2022-03-28 21:56:25

Hi to all. We've just moved from a 11kg tandem that was mounted on a Thule fork mounted (single bike) carrier that worked really well to a 27Kg Moustache e tandem. 

I used to just lift the old tandem onto the roof mounted bike rack - but this was not an option with 27Kg of etandem. So how to now get it safely upright onto the roof of a 3 series BMW estate, leaving room for 2 bike racks on the roof? 

We have found a solution using an Atera tandem bike lift (that is fine for lifting it up to roof level) but even with the wheels securely fixed, it "wobbled" too much side to side for my liking.

The solution was to mount the tandem facing backwards and add a 900mm strut (15mm stainless tube, 2 clevis pin joints and a seat post clamp) that goes from the stoker seat post to the Thule roof bar. 

Now it is a solid as a rock.

We've done our 1st trip to the lakes and it was excellent at motorway speeds.

I'll send a photo of it if you are interested. 

Hi to all. We've just moved from a 11kg tandem that was mounted on a Thule fork mounted (single bike) carrier that worked really well to a 27Kg Moustache e tandem. 

I used to just lift the old tandem onto the roof mounted bike rack - but this was not an option with 27Kg of etandem. So how to now get it safely upright onto the roof of a 3 series BMW estate, leaving room for 2 bike racks on the roof? 

We have found a solution using an Atera tandem bike lift (that is fine for lifting it up to roof level) but even with the wheels securely fixed, it "wobbled" too much side to side for my liking.

The solution was to mount the tandem facing backwards and add a 900mm strut (15mm stainless tube, 2 clevis pin joints and a seat post clamp) that goes from the stoker seat post to the Thule roof bar. 

2022-03-29 09:12:29

If you go to YouTube and search 'atera bike lift' there's a video of the lift in action albeit with a solo bike. 

I've had and used an Atera for some years and as said up post, a tandem does wobble a bit, a problem I resolved by using strong nylon cord attached to the captain's seat post and tying securely to the car's roof rails (in an inverted 'V' shape, if that makes sense.).

A rigid pole as used up post is an even better idea. 

tony barcroft2022-03-29 18:32:25
photo of etandem on Thule roof bars with Atera tandem bike lift and strut/brace.
photo of etandem on Thule roof bars with Atera tandem bike lift and strut/brace.