Wanted

Things wanted.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Smallish-framed tandem to borrow/rent/buy

Rachel Holley2018-01-04 15:28:07

In May this year I'm planning a charity tandem ride, Lands End to John O' Groats. The ride will be supporting Samaritans, and I'm hoping to find a different stoker to ride with me each day, to fit in with the message that it's ok to ask for help!

I’m hoping to be able to find a tandem on long-term loan, hire, or to buy second hand, but my requirements are unfortunately quite specific and may make that a challenge. My unusual combination of short fat pilot on the front and variably-sized different stokers on the back imposes some constraints, and I’ll be riding a thousand miles so it does need to fit well and be comfortable and safe.

Could you lend, hire or sell me something suitable?

Ideally I'm looking for:

- Some kind of tourer or hybrid, definitely not a mountain bike
- Pilot ride height of about 81 cm (measured from peddle at lowest position to the top of the saddle). Probably equivalent to an 18-19″ frame size (though that might vary with brand?). Reach (saddle nose to centre of handlebar) around 40-50 cm or thereabouts.
- Reasonable range of suitability/adjustability for stokers of varying sizes
- 700c wheels, ideally 48 or 40 hole. Tyres sturdy enough for light off-road (e.g. tow paths and Sustrans routes).
- Flat handlebars (i.e. not curly drop bars)
- Decent range of gears to cope with steep hills
- Good brakes, preferably discs to avoid overheating rims on long descents

If you think you might have anything suitable, please do get in touch - rachel_holley (at) yahoo.co.uk, or 07817 030781.

If you'd like to know more about the charity ride, or might even consider riding with me for a day, there's more on my blog: https://endtoendtandemonium.wordpress.com