Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Tandem friendly places to stay in Edinburgh

Richard Seton2011-12-12 00:16:47

My wife and I will be touring the UK in late August / Early September. We'll be bringing our tandem, flying into Edinburgh, and out of Heathrow. The intent is to ride south - the exact route to be made up as we go along!

We were wondering if anyone can suggest a tandem friendly place to stay in Edinburgh? Something comfortable, but not expensive. Less than £50 per night if possible.

And, for that matter, accommodation in St Albans for the end of our trip. We'll be shipping our bike box etc from Edinburgh to St Albans.

Any other suggestions / hints for routes would also be most welcome.

Richard Seton

Fred Robinson2011-12-13 16:47:02

Edinburgh Airport is about 8 miles from the middle of Edinburgh. Transport links are very bad despite two train lines out of Edinburgh passing the airport within 1 km. its bus and taxi only. (we are spending 3/4 billion to get a tram to run along the side of the railway and get with 1/2 km of the the airport)
if you just want one night cheap suggest you try the travel lodge near the airport - I think if you keep on the pavement its safe to cylce the couple of miles. A nicer night and not much further is the bridge inn at Rathob but about £75. I haven't checked for tandem friendly but I expect it to get more difficult as get closer into Edinburgh.
For taxi ride if you need it the airport taxis are, well airport taxis with all waiting etc. Suggest you call Arnie's taxis in South Queensferry who have VW transporter people carriers and have always been reliable. Indeed you might then stay in South Queensferry where there is much choice and eating there is no problem.

: My wife and I will be touring the UK in late August / Early September. We'll
: be bringing our tandem, flying into Edinburgh, and out of Heathrow. The
: intent is to ride south - the exact route to be made up as we go along!

: We were wondering if anyone can suggest a tandem friendly place to stay in
: Edinburgh? Something comfortable, but not expensive. Less than £50 per
: night if possible.

: And, for that matter, accommodation in St Albans for the end of our trip.
: We'll be shipping our bike box etc from Edinburgh to St Albans.

: Any other suggestions / hints for routes would also be most welcome.

: Richard Seton

Richard Seton2011-12-20 04:58:01

We'll probably take a taxi. We won't feel up to taking our chances with the public transport - after a flight from the US west coast.

Matt Hodges2011-12-14 22:15:35

We have stayed at the SYHA youth hostels in Edinburgh a few times but I haven't stayed in the new one so don't know how tandem friendly it is. We stayed last time in the temporary summer hostel they open in a student hall of residence in the city centre during the summer vacation. These are single student study bedrooms. Quite comfortable but not very sociable. There is usually a locked bike shed in which we have had no difficulty storing a tandem. Take a look at the SYHA website.

I don't know what the road to the Airport is like but the main road from the city centre to the Forth Bridge does not allow cycling and the alternative route signed National Cycle Network Route 1 is difficult with a loaded tandem or it was three years ago.

Matt

: My wife and I will be touring the UK in late August / Early September. We'll
: be bringing our tandem, flying into Edinburgh, and out of Heathrow. The
: intent is to ride south - the exact route to be made up as we go along!

: We were wondering if anyone can suggest a tandem friendly place to stay in
: Edinburgh? Something comfortable, but not expensive. Less than £50 per
: night if possible.

: And, for that matter, accommodation in St Albans for the end of our trip.
: We'll be shipping our bike box etc from Edinburgh to St Albans.

: Any other suggestions / hints for routes would also be most welcome.

: Richard Seton

Jamie Smith2011-12-17 21:16:35

: We have stayed at the SYHA youth hostels in Edinburgh a few times but I
: haven't stayed in the new one so don't know how tandem friendly it is. We
: stayed last time in the temporary summer hostel they open in a student
: hall of residence in the city centre during the summer vacation. These are
: single student study bedrooms. Quite comfortable but not very sociable.
: There is usually a locked bike shed in which we have had no difficulty
: storing a tandem. Take a look at the SYHA website.

: I don't know what the road to the Airport is like but the main road from the
: city centre to the Forth Bridge does not allow cycling and the alternative
: route signed National Cycle Network Route 1 is difficult with a loaded
: tandem or it was three years ago.

: Matt

If you aim for Balerno by minor roads from the airport you can follow the canal tow path into Haymarket and the City centre. Late august you will be clashing with the Festival so accomodation will be hard to find. September would be better and there are plenty of B & Bs along the A7 running out of the Centre South Clerk Street, Newington Rd, Minto Street (all the same road.)September it won't be difficult to find reasonable accomodation. Close to No 1 cycle route. If you are camping the Caravan Club site at Silverknowes by the Forth is great.

Jamie

Richard Seton2011-12-20 04:59:54

We've already bought tickets to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. So, August it is! :)

Richard Seton2011-12-20 04:54:46

Thank you for all your responses. I'm sorry for the delay. I crashed on the ice a week ago, and have been putting myself back together in the meantime. It looked worse then it was.

Richard

Jeremy Pascoe2012-01-10 21:55:48

Hi

Cycling in from the airport is fine. Yo can use the pavement ( sidewalk) of the main A8 and once you get into the city there is a cycle / bus lane all the way pretty much - so long as you don't mind cycling in traffic.

Most taxis will struggle to take a tandem unless you have S&S couplings to shorten the frame. there are restrictions on what taxis can pick up at the airport so not all companies will be allowed to do so. there is a website for Edinburgh airport you can check details with http://www.edinburghairport.com/

accommodation will be in very short supply during the festival and the city very busy get it booked now. I cannot suggest anything tandem friendly i am afraid

I live in Edinburgh - feel free to email me direct if you want jeremyDOTpascoeATbtinternetDOTcom

Jeremy