Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Flying with a 2 piece tandem using S&S couplings

Kenneth Fant2009-09-09 21:21:49

Hello

Already have this on my touring bike and i think that they are great when going on flights.

You can have this couplings on a Thorn tandem. The first alternative is to have three in the front, so you will have a two piece tandem.
Are there any out there who have been flying with a two piece tandem? If so, what do you use for the bigger rear part, protection and to walk with it for some small stretches? Intend to use my backpack S&S back for the front and will fill it upp with stuff.
If money where no object I would go for the three piece tandem but its out of the budget.
And I live in Sweden and I hate to drive and Missus cant drive so that is no alternative when going all the way down to the continent.

Thank You
Kenneth

LesFrewin2009-10-03 15:17:05

LesFrewin2009-10-03 15:23:19

Hi
We had similar problems when buying our present tandem in 2001 as we wanted to be able to fit the tandem inside a Mercedes A class.Solution- 50/50 split with S and S Thorn will do this for you by taking a standard tandem and splitting as required basically the only additional cost being a frame respray

Regards

Les