Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Danube trip

Alan Roblou2006-08-24 09:32:19

Has anyone useful tips on any aspect of our trip next month:
Flying Danair from Stansted with a tandem to Linz. Taking the cycle paths to Vienna and then to Bratislava. Flying back from Bratislava to Stansted. Among questions: Is accomodation easy to find, or do we need to phone ahead each morning? Are helmets mandatory in Austria? I "think" I'm ok on aspects of tandem and Danair, having read the posts here, but any new info welcome. Thanks.

Neil Wheadon2006-08-24 19:36:55

Yes it's a really good trip, we camped a few years ago and that was pretty easy. The path is well signed in Austria
If it rains a lot there are river boats that will take your bikes.

One thought, there is a cyclists hospitality list which I run. It's a mutual put me up scheme and costs £5 to join. I have an Austrian list and there are people along this route and in Vienna. Using this adds so much to your trip as you meet the local cyclists.

If interested, send me an E mail

Neil

Alan Roblou2006-09-15 15:19:18

(I did mean Ryanair, not Dandair ... showing my age.

For the record Linz-Vienna-Bratislava is an excellent bike path trip and great week away, if an eeny but dull just west and east of Vienna. Otherwise good countryside, paths you could ride on 23s, plenty of info places, maps, signs and places to stay. If we did it again we would take two days longer and go from Passau west of Linz. Ryanair took the tandem both ways for bike payment (it's a bulky sporting item) and there were no problems or damage. I'd bagged it and lashed front wheel and both sets of bars to side of frame. Bit of split plastic tubing over lower connecting chain and over bar end shifters, and between fork ends. Weighed 24.5 kilos, but it does have Marathon XRs! Panniers went in an onion bag, weighed 13kilos and counted as one item. Recommend it to anyone as first tandem trip by plane - as it was ours. Thorn Voyager faultless and normally very stable -- though quite wobbly if you try to ride it with panniers on and stoker off.