Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

S &S Couplings

Peter Cuthbertson2006-07-27 20:19:55

Having ridden and transported rigid tandems by air and on trains, I am considering getting something which will take apart to make two smaller packages. ( in bags if necessary or boxes) The S & S couplings option seems to offer the option of using a 26 or 700 sized wheeled tandem which I feel should make travelling easier.
Does anyone have personal experience of this system, particularly flying or travelling by train.
I realize this would restrict my choice of bike to those with round tubes.
Any info gratefully received
Thanks
Peter

Graham R Brown2006-07-27 20:44:41

Peter,

I don't think S&S couplings have any affect on wheels! If you have them retrofitted to an existing tandem they are very expensive, less so if they are integrated into a new bike at the time it is built. Thorn especially do this.

Do a search on this Discussion board for previous comments on couplings.

Graham.

Andrew Skinner2006-07-30 19:44:41

We've just had a tandem made by Bob Jackson, with six couplers to take into two big bits and three loose tubes.

Very nice, but we've not taken it down in anger yet, other than to put it into the back of a Yaris to bring it home.

There are lots of S&S builders out there. You'll find a list on their www site.

Dave Yates does them, Thorn do, but most of their frames are built out of the country. If you are going for it, get a bike that goes into three bits not two. Jacksons frame price made to measure was little different to Thorn off the peg.

Jacksons got us a dry couple for the back hydraulic brake, but they had to buy it from Thorn.

Search the forum for more on S&S. Several people on here helped us.

Andrew

: Peter,

: I don't think S&S couplings have any affect on wheels! If you have them
: retrofitted to an existing tandem they are very expensive, less so if they
: are integrated into a new bike at the time it is built. Thorn especially
: do this.

: Do a search on this Discussion board for previous comments on couplings.

: Graham.

Peter Cuthbertson2006-07-31 09:18:07

: We've just had a tandem made by Bob Jackson, with six couplers to take into
: two big bits and three loose tubes.

: Very nice, but we've not taken it down in anger yet, other than to put it
: into the back of a Yaris to bring it home.

: There are lots of S&S builders out there. You'll find a list on their www
: site.

: Dave Yates does them, Thorn do, but most of their frames are built out of the
: country. If you are going for it, get a bike that goes into three bits not
: two. Jacksons frame price made to measure was little different to Thorn
: off the peg.

Thanks Andrew
I will check out frame buiders and I would be interested to hear how you manage your new tandem in due course.
Peter
: Jacksons got us a dry couple for the back hydraulic brake, but they had to
: buy it from Thorn.

: Search the forum for more on S&S. Several people on here helped us.

: Andrew

mark tipping2006-07-31 20:15:01

: Peter,

: Check out an article in cycling weekly 2 or 3 weeks ago - the tour de f one. The new automated and computer controlled unmanned baggage handling system at heathrow means that outsize luggage can be up to 8 feet long, but the other two dimensions have to be less than 2 feet. According to the article BA expects all regional UK airports to fall into line over the coming year. ALL BIKE BAGS will be a no go from then on, as a cycle wheel, both MTB or road, is too big.
Not yet sure how it will pan out, but what size is the market in cyclists with bikes in bags compared to a national computerised baggage handling sysytem which is already specced and being commissioned.
I wouldmake some serious enquiries before splashing out the costs of an S&S tandem just yet. The days of fly and hire appear upon us!
Mark T

Peter Cuthbertson2006-08-01 10:22:36

: Not yet sure how it will pan out, but what size is the market in cyclists
: with bikes in bags compared to a national computerised baggage handling
: sysytem which is already specced and being commissioned.
: I wouldmake some serious enquiries before splashing out the costs of an S&S
: tandem just yet. The days of fly and hire appear upon us!
: Mark T
Thanks Mark
I will exercise caution - having manhandled the current tandem in two bike boxes as an eight foot parcel at Heathrow, Luton and Stansted I will still look for an easier option but a 60 cm.max dimension on long packages might make a bike in a conventional sized suitcase a more attractive propostion.
The contrast with Ryanair at Palermo "turn the handlebars sideways and let some air out of the tyres" is enormous.
Peter C