Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Hydraulic Brakes and Separable Tandems

Neil Plant2024-05-17 12:46:42

A bit of information for anyone wanting hydraulic brakes on a separable tandem.

When we bought our S&S coupled tandem we specified cable disc brakes as there didn't appear to be any good options for hydraulics other than removing the lever or caliper which would have meant a lot of hassle when splitting the frame as we do for train travel.  Having recently seen the following from Taiwan:

Q-Connector - Bicycle Hydraulic Quick Coupler – zenocycle (zenocycleparts.com)

...we took a chance and ordered a quick connect and got our local bike shop to upgrade the tandem to hydraulics, fitting the quick connect.  After a four-day tour in Scotland, the upgrade was worth it and the connector works fine.  The LBS reported it was easy to fit.  It's worth a look if you're looking at speccing up a separable tandem or upgrading.

We never had an issue with cable discs, we just wanted something that took less effort.  We went with TRP Hylex levers and Magura 4 pot calipers on a Rohloff tandem.

R Allen2024-05-17 13:45:48

Interesting - internet has everything!

Another idea is could locate lever elsewhere / have stoker controlling rear wheel braking.  Bestw rich

David Beacham2024-05-17 14:46:34
An easier option is the hybrid cable/hydro brake, I always thought they were the worst of both worlds but after getting one in the workshop for a service I changed my mind. I was really impressed how good it was and easy to set up. Obviously you could still use a cable splitter on those, mind you we were quite happy with BB7's on ours laugh
David Beacham2024-05-17 14:51:51
I wouldn't trust my stoker with a brake, it would be on more that the main ones!angel
Simon Brown2024-05-17 17:18:20

My second-hand Thorn tandem has a hydraulic coupler which works very well, but is a silly price at £195 (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/100-dry-hydraulic-coupling-fittings-no-hose-supplied/).  After about 25 uncoupling/couplings, the brakes can start to go a bit soft so I bleed them which takes about 10 minutes so not a major inconvenience.  If I were to do it again I would look at the hybrid options.  The TRP Hy/Rd I have on my solo is phenomenal, especially considering its on a 160mm rotor