Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Garmin to android tablet connection

Greg Hughes2023-05-25 18:53:59
Hi,

I have an Android tablet with a USB-C port, and a Garmin Edge Touring with a mini USB port (no wifi or bluetooth).

I'd like to connect the two with a cable, so that i can plan routes on the tablet and upload them to the Garmin.

What do i need to connect them? I've had so many different suggestions from tech shops, I'd like to know what actually works!

At the moment i have to take the SD card out of the Garmin and put it in the tablet and transfer the file to it. Not great when you're on a campsite or in a cafe!

Thanks for your help!

2023-05-25 20:10:09

I would try using an adaptor from USB-A to USB-C, (a "normal" mini-USB cable has USB-A on the other end). Whether this will really work is another question - one might need to fiddle with the tablet settings, maybe.

Such an adaptor is usually a small piece and costs about £3

2023-05-30 13:56:28

I have successfully connected my tablet to other devices but haven't tried to a Garmin though. 

I used what is called an OTG (as in On The Go) adapter - the internal lead connections are slightly different to an ordinary adapter.

There were some other tweaks to do with the tablet usb port but I can't remember what they were and it was a while ago now and an old version of Android anyway.

Research OTG as its a common facility. 

Greg Hughes2023-06-01 14:08:04

Thank you both.