Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

eBikes abroad

Steve Edmunds2022-08-11 17:23:42

We have just decided to upgrade to an e-tandem. Can I ask what are peoples experience of flying an ebike to europe? I found a shop in Tenerife for January that would hire me a Shimano battery ( at the full cost of the bike hire) so I could fly there minus the battery if I can find an airline that would accept an ebike minus the battery.  Google implied in USA folk simply took the battery in their hand luggage. 

Thank you Steve

Chris Peachey2022-08-11 18:15:27

The rules for rechargeable batteries on aircraft do not allow them in the hold. It's the CAA and it's foreign equivalent that make the rules so every airline must comply.

They can be carried in the cabin but are limited to 100whrs each and need to have the terminals protected or the battery installed. (like in a laptop). There does not appear to be a limit on how many batteries you can carry but there could be a problem if you carried more than one in each bag.

?Do the security/check-in staff know the rules?

Each airline can make it's own rules as to what they will carry. A folding tandem with a motor would be in cases and travel in the hold (without batteries) as normal luggage  but "normal" tandems could be subject to certain requirements.

If anyone has any personal experience of flying with batteries it would be good to hear from them

Search the web for rules etc and print out a copy to take with you.

Richard Fuller2022-08-11 18:16:35

I don't think you would be allowed the battery in your hand luggage. I would ask your chosen airline if you can take it in the hold on the bike The UN number for batteries included in equipment is UN3481 you will also need the UN38.3 see below. My company builds and refurbishes lithium batteries and we have flown some so possibly if you can't get the airline that you wish to fly with you could find a carrier that could ship it for you there are quite a lot that deal in dangerous goods. You would need the UN38.3 certification for your battery type and make which will probably be available on Google and quote the UN3480 as the classification

Richard Fuller2022-08-11 18:36:31

Chris that sounds like great information 100whswould equate to a 36 volt 3 amp battery I doubt the Shimano battery would be that small.

Richard Fuller2022-08-11 18:36:31

Chris that sounds like great information 100whswould equate to a 36 volt 3 amp battery I doubt the Shimano battery would be that small.

Chris Peachey2022-08-11 19:04:33

We currently use a Cytronex motor with 200whrs battery, (not for flying)

200whrs + 250watt motor at 15mph max  gives 48mins at constant full power. or 12miles range.

Good for moderate use on rides up to around 40miles.