Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

eBikes abroad

Steve Edmunds2022-08-11 17:23:42

We have just decided to upgrade to an e-tandem. Can I ask what are peoples experience of flying an ebike to europe? I found a shop in Tenerife for January that would hire me a Shimano battery ( at the full cost of the bike hire) so I could fly there minus the battery if I can find an airline that would accept an ebike minus the battery.  Google implied in USA folk simply took the battery in their hand luggage. 

Thank you Steve

tony barcroft2022-08-11 18:07:48

Hi Steve - as part of our research (before buying an e tandem) we investigated this whole area. 

By way of background we'd had an S&S coupled conventional tandem that we travelled with all over the world by plane. 

Suffice to say; our conclusions were as follows. 

1. Airlines were reluctant to take a tandem primarily because of dimensions (long) and secondarily weight (25-30kg). 

2. Batteries were a huge issue. We were told by BA and Lufthansa that we would not be allowed to take the batteries on board (2x 500w) either in the hold or the cabin. 

In the end we bought an e tandem but decided that we would take longer trips, primarily in Europe and via car. For elsewhere - we rent a tandem - either e or conventional. 

I'd be interested in other folks experiences but that was ours. 

Tony