Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Dawea Discovery headrace

2022-03-07 20:01:06

Hi we've got a lot of play in the head set /stem bearing. I can't identify the make (looks like Zero Edape) are these items standard.... full disclosure. I've never changed a modern headset,last one I did had loads of little ball bearings!!

Thanks. Muck 

Chris Peachey2022-03-07 22:05:54

Headsets are mostly standard. You just need the steerer tube diameter. With the older threaded type I think there can be a difference in the stack height although I have never had to change one. Taking up the slack is a straightforward adjustment. Typically they become "crenelated" where the steering feels like its notched. If you have a modern threadless type it may be that you only need to slacken the stem clamp and push it down. (assuming the bearings are good) and then tighten the top bolt. Remember the spacers must sit proud of the steerer tube to be able to clamp it all.

Fitting a new headset really needs the right tools as some of the components will be a tight fit and can be damaged if they are not pressed down evenly so help from a bike shop may be needed.

2022-03-07 22:39:41
Ah thanks Chris, so the headset IS adjustable then. I had thought as they are races rather than ball bearings it would need the units replacing..I'll get the stem diameter anyway. Cheers.