Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Pilot and stoker comms

John Arne Colman 2021-10-21 17:37:10

Hi , does anyone know of a bicycle helmet friendly communication (eg headphone and mic) to allow easier chat between pilot and stoker.

Thanks

Arne and Pati

2021-10-21 19:31:31
Hello Arne and Pati,

Many years ago, when my wife and I rode solo bikes, I managed to cannibalise a Walkie-Talkie outfit by attaching the earpiece and mike to our helmet straps. You had to say the first word twice to activate it.  It’s probably easier now with modern electronics. Worth looking at sets sold for motor cycles.

One unexpected experience using ours was when we were cycling past a large hotel and a strange female voice said “the baby in room 7 is crying”. We did not reply!

Cliff & Bridget Bruce

2021-10-21 19:31:31
Hello Arne and Pati,

Many years ago, when my wife and I rode solo bikes, I managed to cannibalise a Walkie-Talkie outfit by attaching the earpiece and mike to our helmet straps. You had to say the first word twice to activate it.  It’s probably easier now with modern electronics. Worth looking at sets sold for motor cycles.

One unexpected experience using ours was when we were cycling past a large hotel and a strange female voice said “the baby in room 7 is crying”. We did not reply!

Cliff & Bridget Bruce

Ian McCall2021-10-21 20:16:40

Hi Arne and Pati

You could look at motorcycle intercoms. I have recently bought an old stock Autocom motorcycle intercom. Its 20 years old, cable connections between pilot and stoker or rider and pillion! It's a voice activated unit which means it amplifies your voice when you begin to speak, so it doesn't amplify the noise of riding along in the wind, which is tiresome. Good intercoms have mics which are designed to reduce amplification of wind noise when you speak. There are many versions available now at a price, and often wireless by Bluetooth or similar, so no annoying cables to bother with - or less anyway. My Autocom requires connection to a 12 volt battery but some will work from a smaller battery, like a small 9 volt. You would have to make the system more weatherproof with a waterproof box to house it, maybe under the pilots seat. The earpieces would sit over (or in) the ears, or if your helmets come down lower, actually in the helmet if there was room. The boom mics would sit in front of your mouths but might need protecting in the rain.

You could be onto something there! Hope you can get it worked out, I think it's a great idea now I think about it.

Ian McCall 

John Arne Colman 2021-10-21 22:26:52
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep looking. I've seen the perfect set up but it's in the US and already quite expensive without postage.
Dmitrii Pasechnik2021-10-21 22:53:28

A DIY solution would be to use headsets used by road cyclists (e.g. look up VERTIX Single-Ear Headset, link below), coupled with mobile phones running an app allowing for constant free (short distance, up to ~50-100m) communication via "push to talk" (an Android app for this would be e.g. Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger).

See https://www.vertixglobal.com/collections/velo/accessories_headsets

E.M. Selby2021-10-22 05:58:31

Why not look at the Sena helmets?

Link here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sena-R1STDOBM-Unisex-Connected-Cycling/dp/B07FLW3KMC/ref=asc_df_B07FLW3QQ5/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310485825261&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9865613629983166933&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046813&hvtargid=pla-555721458938&th=1&psc=1

Ed

John Arne Colman 2021-10-23 07:48:56
Thanks All, we are going to get Sena helmets
Chris Roan2021-11-23 20:13:23

Hi - has anyone tried/have experience of using these Sena helmets on a tandem - presumably it would be the R1's?  They look to be a very attractive proposition.

Chris Roan