Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Tandem Insurance

David Hammond2020-01-27 14:27:40

Trying to decide if we should insure our new tandem.  Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of Laka.  Interesting concept where if there are no claims from those insured in the month then there is no charge. Home insurance will not cover due to value.

Kevin Smith2020-01-27 14:46:46

Hi, not Laka, I did consider them, but opted for Pedal Cover. Its ran by cyclists for cyclists. Home and contents cover, where the contents covers possesions at or away from home. Also covers competion, racing etc. No need to list a particular bike, as long as your total insured covers what you need ref one or multiple bikes, including crash and third partydamage, which in my mind, yoiu should have as a minimum.  I saved a packet over my Marks and Spencer home insurance package, them being the only mainstream insurer not too charge silly money for bike insurance. Pedal Cover communication has been great too, although not had claim with them yet. 

David Hammond2020-01-27 14:56:26

I have looked at Pedal Cover aswell.  It would be an interesting excercise to find out from TC member, how many claims have been made against insurance for theft, damage etc in the last 5 years.  Might put a poll on Facebook.

Richard Scrase2020-01-27 16:37:04

I use the ETA for car and bicycle breakdown cover and have used them for bicycle insurance in the past but not made a claim. https://www.eta.co.uk

John Saunders2020-01-27 18:15:16

I too have insurred with Pedal Cover, they will sell you an additional policy to cover your excess, leaving you to increase your excess on the house policy to reduce the premium ( it also covers your car excess ) the total savings did more than cover the premium on the new policy.

Yvonne Meek2022-11-18 18:26:28
Having read this thread from 2020, I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent advice re: tandem insurance. Thanks Yvonne 
Stephen Gray2022-11-18 19:48:40

First port of call should always be to check whether you home and or contents insurance provider will cover the value of the tandem as cycles cover. Some insurers will cover a high value some won't. Some have a limit for any single bicycle some don't and will cover n bikes up to a total value of. We found M&S would cover our tandem plus other bikes without too much fuss. 
if you are going to take the tandem abroad check that it will be covered and check the period you are allowed to be away from home for.

if you are going to use the tandem for any competitive event (time trial racing etc, home insurance generally excludes this and you will have to look for a cycling specific insurance cover such as those mentioned in this thread. There are a number of such providers out there so get a list of them and get an online quote from each to start off with.

Sally Kertzman2022-11-18 19:51:23
Following someone's advice (I think Tony Prichard?) we use TSB pick and protect. Great value covering all our bikes (up to £3500) for £28! 
Jon Watt2022-11-18 21:56:43
We've been with esure home insurance for a number of years now. Full theft and liability insurance, no more than normal home insurance. All bikes are named on the insurance and I can add and remove bikes whenever I like. Four of the bikes are over £2500 and the other......ahem....6 bikes are under but they're all covered.