Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Chris Lee2019-07-18 13:11:38

We have a Dawes Discovery (Pretty sure it’s 21/17 as well) and use Tubus Cargo rack. 

While I think it would be tight to get the seat all the way down as is; the poles that attach to the top of the seatstays have quite a lot of adjustment to slide the rack towards the rear.

We also have a couple of bits of metal attached to the ‘legs’ at the bottom of the rack, where they would normally bolt to the bike to move the rack back ~15mm to clear our disk-brake calliper / Bob trailer hitch.

Perhaps you could find a rack that enables some adjustment where it attaches to the top seatstay like ours, and fabricate a couple of bits of metal to put on the legs to move the rack more to the rear?

I think our rack has the official Tubus extension piece, (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/tubus-rear-rack-extension/?geoc=ID ) but you might be better with a custom piece to allow you to shift the rack further back as required.

Hopefully you can see what I mean from the photos, we seem to have parked up at a neon-disco tonight!!!