Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

E Conversion Kits for Tandems

Stephen Robinson2017-12-03 04:14:08

Need to electrify my Tandem KHS Sports 26" wheels (Steel Frame with Mountian Bike Forks)
My wife has recently broken her ankle so I need an electric motor for assistant on hills. The pros and cons vary, depending on where I position the mortor. After contacting a local bike mechanic I am considering installing a 250 watt motor on the front wheel. Can anyone provide details of a realable conversion kit.

Matt Hodges2017-12-03 22:38:40

No experience electrifying a tandem but after she had hip surgery we had my wife's recumbent trike fitted with a an electric front wheel and controls etc by the Electric transport shop in York
See https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/yorkstore email TETSyork@gmail.com
John was very helpful and my wife is very happy with the result. I am less so as now I can't keep up with her up the hills.
There are other connected electric transport shops in several cities. I don't have any experience of them. Try phoning your nearest to see what they can offer. Look at the AtoB website and magazines for a lot of info on electric bikes
Matt
: Need to electrify my Tandem KHS Sports 26" wheels (Steel Frame with
: Mountian Bike Forks)
: My wife has recently broken her ankle so I need an electric motor for
: assistant on hills. The pros and cons vary, depending on where I position
: the mortor. After contacting a local bike mechanic I am considering
: installing a 250 watt motor on the front wheel. Can anyone provide details
: of a realable conversion kit.

Trevor Muddimer2017-12-28 12:54:09

: No experience electrifying a tandem but after she had hip surgery we had my
: wife's recumbent trike fitted with a an electric front wheel and controls
: etc by the Electric transport shop in York
: See https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/yorkstore email TETSyork@gmail.com
: John was very helpful and my wife is very happy with the result. I am less so
: as now I can't keep up with her up the hills.
: There are other connected electric transport shops in several cities. I don't
: have any experience of them. Try phoning your nearest to see what they can
: offer. Look at the AtoB website and magazines for a lot of info on
: electric bikes
: Matt

It may be worth talking to www.e-bikeshop.co.uk
For our 4th tandem, took the Moustrache Samedi route - as we are sepgenarians - super machine.
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer/Moustache-Samedi-Tandem-Bosch-Electric-Bike-2018?filter=23
Trevor & Lorraine. Dorset.