Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Heathrow Lodging Recommendation

Christian Bratina2016-05-09 18:56:35

We are flying with our boxed tandem (180 x 76 x 28 cm) to Heathrow at the end of August and would like any recommendation for a hotel or B&B that we can access with the Heathrow Hoppa bus and leave our box there for a month while we ride LEJOG. Thanks.

Mark Silver2016-05-16 14:20:25

Hello Christian. We are not that far from Heathrow, and our local bus (the 441) starts in our village and ends at Heathrow central bus station, the ten-odd miles taking it about an hour. Whilst this is obviously a bit further than the Hoppa, there are three B&B’s near to us, and I’ll happily put your box in my shed for a month. Any use?

Christian Bratina2016-05-16 14:45:40

: Hello Christian. We are not that far from Heathrow, and our local bus (the
: 441) starts in our village and ends at Heathrow central bus station, the
: ten-odd miles taking it about an hour. Whilst this is obviously a bit
: further than the Hoppa, there are three B&B’s near to us, and I’ll happily
: put your box in my shed for a month. Any use?

Thanks for your most gracious offer! How can I get the boxed tandem there? It is 180 x 76 x 28 cm. Can I take it on the local bus? Or is there an alternative service? I will check on the a van delivery service from the airport.

Mark Silver2016-05-17 09:31:32

Christian

My best guess is that you'll be fine taking a big box with you on the bus. As I'm usually cycling, I confess I'm no bus expert, but as the bus is rarely full I would be reasonably sure you would be allowed to take it on-board. I reckon hiring vans is a little excessive: I'd rely on the bus.