All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

New Club

Peter Hobson2021-05-10 14:05:23

Greetings, since I got a tandem last year,  a few friends have contacted me and asked if they can come out with me . Restrictions pending I have had a couple of local Vets near  to me come and have a go on the tandem. It is not ideal as it was bought for me and my wife who is 4 feet 11. however the 2 that have tried it  where more than happy and have asked me to try and get a group or club together.  
With all that In Mind I am looking to start up a tandem cycling group or club  for blind, partial sighted and people with balance issues.  
I have my bike but I require at least 2 or 3 more bikes to get the group going and change the life for the better for these people who have shown an interest.
Any veterans who are interested in joining me on my quest are more than welcome to join, please do send me a message.  
I am a member of the Tandem club. And I am also the regional Officer in the Humberside region for the Tandem club.  
Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.  Especially on getting a cub up and running, donations, bicycles, kit and a secure place to run the club from. Maybe Phoenix House catterick.  
My short term goal is to get the club up and running.  With regular rides.  Also to attend Tandem club rallies.  Medium term goal is to do a few regular tours in the UK and may be just over the water in the Netherlands .  
Long term goal, to do longer tours, may be The north Sea coastal route, Nordd Kapp to Gibraltar, Or may be go the whole way down to Capetown.  But the main point of the club is to get  people out and enjoying the benefits of cycling.  
Anyone who would like to try a tandem ride  please do get in touch and I will try and put you in contact with a local pilot who will help.  
Many thanks 
Pete

John Saunders2021-05-10 17:10:12

Hi Pete

I am a Helper with Charlotte's Tandems who as a charity will loan out Tandems to anyone with any type of disability , I am not in Humberside but there are Helpers that cover that area. I have loaned on several occasions to couples one of with is partially sighted or blind with great success .

If your fiends need to try out a Tandem before jumping in to buy then this could be a good route, as its a charity there is no cost involved but they would only do it for a limited period..

Give them an email 

info@charlottestandems.co.uk

There is an enquiry form to start the ball rolling

John Saunders