All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

tandem hydraulic lift

John R Blackie2018-11-08 22:28:20

I'm looking for a device called Atera or BTS  hydraulic (tandem) life.  It attaches to a two bar roof rack and acts as a crane to lift a tandem or bike onto the roof of a car - very easily.  The key component is a gas (hydraulic) strut which is the same thing as is used to help open and close a hatchback boot/rear door.  See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7kaDRuMNK8v  or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGLscriQAE  to watch one in action.

Please let me know if there is one you want to see.

John Blackie

Achim Gloger2018-11-09 07:37:28

John, unfortunately that lift has gone out of production. Your best bet is to keep an eye on eBay. 

Keep in in mind that if you do do find one, spare parts will be a problem: the strut is notorious for failing. 

david2018-11-09 07:56:43

John

If you look on St John Street Cycles website they carry spare parts for the lift.

I have a one of these lifts and they are excellent. Mine was attached to a Vauxhall Antara so the roof was very high from the ground. It makes light work getting the tandem up there by yourself.

David

John R Blackie2018-11-09 10:45:04

Achim, thank you for your comments.  I'm not bothered by a gas strut fail, unless it's happening suddenly during a lift.  Gas struts are a two-a-penny off the shelf item, and I imagine easy to replace.  One just has to get the spec right.

It's a great pity that they are not made any more.  The engineering is very elegant.

I'm hoping that someone has one that's failed which I can repair or one which is now unloved.  I'll try an ebay permanent search.

I'll also ask St.John Street Cycle's if they know of one which might be up for grabs. (Thanks David for this head's up)

John

Rob Longden2018-12-04 21:35:04

Hi John,

Not sure if you had any luck but I have an Atera Tandem lift which is surplus to requirements.  Great piece of kit, in good working condition as far as I am aware but unused for a while.  Please get in touch if you are interested?

Rob Longden

Achim Gloger2018-12-04 22:04:30

Hi Rob,

If John is no longer looking for an Atera lift, could I have first dibs please?

Thank you,

Achim (achim at gloger dot org)

John R Blackie2018-12-05 09:59:16

Roy, many thanks for your making contact.  I am very interested.  I think it best if we communicate by email and phone next.  I would of course like to see the lift, depending on where you are. If you are close(ish) to Oxford then I can arrive at your convenience.  If not we can make other agreeable arrangements.

johnrblackie@aol.com is my email address.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

John Blackie

2019-08-11 19:31:29

WANTED

Tandem Roof carrier, anything considered

mr.paulclements@gmail.com