All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Transporting a tandem

Wayne Thompson2017-06-07 19:38:30

Hi, I am taking part in a charity bike ride and have to transport a tandem to London for a ride back to Staffordshire. I was wondering if anyone has any advice/experience of travelling on London Midland trains, using a courier or van hire into Central London. Thanks

Monika Juergens2017-06-29 17:12:55

Not sure this helps:
I've so far always been able to get a tandem on a train when I tried (mostly Great Western), though sometimes it needed some persuasion of the staff.

Alternatively: I recently bought a tandem on Ebay and had it couriered from Flintshire to Oxfordshire using "Shiply" https://www.shiply.com. In case you're not familiar with Shiply (I wasn't): the way it works is that you post the details of what you want sent and couriers come back with offers. I think they can see what their competitors offered, so it becomes a sort of reverse bidding war. The first offers I received were over £100, but the cost seemed to settle down at about £50 and at that price I then had several couriers to choose from.

2018-02-11 10:44:53

If you just need a bike or tandem, or anything else large posted, Paisley Frieght is quite good and very reasonable. I’ve used them several times. You book a slot for it to be collected, pay around £25-30 for a bike which must be boxed or well wrapped and that’s it. Sorry I can’t help with your problem but this info may come in useful sometime.