Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Flying with tandems

Peter2005-09-25 11:41:09

We are hoping to fly with our tandem to Mallorca. Both Easyjet and BMIbaby require that bicycles (they don't mention tandems specifically) should be in a bag. I have a bag for my solo but none are available for tandems. Any ideas?

simon2005-09-25 17:13:05

: We are hoping to fly with our tandem to Mallorca. Both Easyjet and BMIbaby
: require that bicycles (they don't mention tandems specifically) should be
: in a bag. I have a bag for my solo but none are available for tandems. Any
: ideas?

I too would love to hear more info on flying with tandems.
As I too am keen to start touring further afield.
Has anybody done it?
Who did you go with? (the airline!)
Will some package deals let a tandem on the plane?
Did the tandem survive?

Adrian2005-09-26 16:41:18

See my response re Tandem Cover 1/9/05. Worked fine with Ryanair recently and hoping to use it again with BMI to Jersey in a few weeks. Flown a few times now with budget airlines and never had any real problems. The bonus is they also only charge the tandem as one bike(ie £17 each flight with Ryanir, £10 with BMI). If they didn't the cost would be more expensive than the total cost of the passenger tickets!!! If you do a search I'm sure you will find previous discussions re flying. My feeling is that the tandem is less likely to be damaged when left assembled(and now in a clear cover) than my solo used to be when disassembled in a bike bag and more likely to be thrown around.

: I too would love to hear more info on flying with tandems.
: As I too am keen to start touring further afield.
: Has anybody done it?
: Who did you go with? (the airline!)
: Will some package deals let a tandem on the plane?
: Did the tandem survive?

Patrick Walker2005-09-26 20:58:26

: We are hoping to fly with our tandem to Mallorca. Both Easyjet and BMIbaby
: require that bicycles (they don't mention tandems specifically) should be
: in a bag. I have a bag for my solo but none are available for tandems. Any
: ideas?

We flew to Palma last Easter with jet 2 from Leeds Bradford. The terms and conditions said wrap in cardboard, but they seemed very happy with a plastic cover (pjyamas)put on so the bike could still be wheeled (tyres on slightly deflated). We were supposed to remove the pedals but didnt. There was no damage. Incidentally we specified a tandem carrying taxi in Palma - enter one peugeot saloon - all taxis seem to take a tandem on the roof with the taxi sign removed and a large piece of carpet!!!

p.s. can recommend a nice (if a little expensive) hotel base near Inca.

Stan & Anne Simister2005-10-01 15:20:10

: We flew to Palma last Easter with jet 2 from Leeds Bradford. The terms and
: conditions said wrap in cardboard, but they seemed very happy with a
: plastic cover (pjyamas)put on so the bike could still be wheeled (tyres on
: slightly deflated). We were supposed to remove the pedals but didnt. There
: was no damage. Incidentally we specified a tandem carrying taxi in Palma -
: enter one peugeot saloon - all taxis seem to take a tandem on the roof
: with the taxi sign removed and a large piece of carpet!!!

: p.s. can recommend a nice (if a little expensive) hotel base near Inca.

Can you give contact details for taxi hire, we plan to go to Puerto Pollenca with tandem in feb/mar flight times prohibit riding to/from airport?

Stan & Anne Simister2005-10-04 17:39:12

: Can you give contact details for taxi hire, we plan to go to Puerto Pollenca
: with tandem in feb/mar flight times prohibit riding to/from airport?

We have just booked to fly to Palma with Easyjet next February from Gatwick.Great fares, and yes, they'll take the tandem, in a box or bag, but....the box or bag must be no more than 2 metres long! This means removing wheels,mudguards etc.
S&S couplings sound more attractive every day!

bruce robinson2005-10-06 16:02:04

: We have just booked to fly to Palma with Easyjet next February from
: Gatwick.Great fares, and yes, they'll take the tandem, in a box or bag,
: but....the box or bag must be no more than 2 metres long! This means
: removing wheels,mudguards etc.
: S&S couplings sound more attractive every day!

Tandem bike bags are available from "bike in a bag".
Have flown twice to date with this bag with no problems

Roger Mantom2005-12-18 20:44:49

: Tandem bike bags are available from "bike in a bag".
: Have flown twice to date with this bag with no problems
Free tandem bags are available in any town courtesy of your local Bedding shop! required is a single bed mattress plastic bag cover. Or my local camping shopmakes a bag from lightweight ground sheet material for £10 . These have donedozens of flights Europe and USA,without any bother. Always with wheels in , backwheel turned round ,chainwheel with cranksfixed verticle to protect chain rings.