Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Trailer to tow a tandem

Rachel Broughton2024-08-29 15:33:22

We drive a mini 4x4 camper and are desperately trying to find a solution to enable us to take the Moustache e tandem with us.  We are handy and creative generally so looking for genius ideas!  The roof is one option but, from a stability point of view I am reticent to try and get it up there (2.8m).

So - trailers...anyone gone down the trailer route?  I was thinking a modified motorbike trailer?  A rear rack is not an option as the camper is angled outwards and overhands the back of the pick up by about a foot.

Bob Cordran2024-08-29 16:15:03

I went for a Pendle six bike trailer as the best available option a few years ago.

https://pbr.co.uk/collections/bike-trailers/products/family-trailer

You do need the tandem extension bit, though, which brings the front wheel quite close to the rear of the car, so opening the boot isn't possible on my Touran. It bolts onto the strut between the main body of the trailer and the coupling.  

There is the added bonus of being able to take another bike or two (or five at a push). 

Stating the obvious, I would check the dimensions carefully - I haven't tried using mine since upgrading from a Dawes Duet to a Moustache Samedi, so I don't know if it would fit.

Pendle are (or at least have been when I've dealt with them) very helpful.

It's not cheap but it is a very sturdy beast. i see they have sold out at the moment, though but there are usually a few floating around second hand, admittedly less often with the tandem-specific add-on.

John Little2024-08-29 16:37:31
We use an anssems trailer with a standard bike carrier on the top. Only problem have been the obvious ones associated with a trailer - e.g. car parks without long spaces...
Alan MacDonald2024-08-29 17:02:11
We had a Pendle 6-bike trailer, with the tandem extension, which was fine with a younger family and several bikes. The issue we had when only transporting our tandem, was it became somewhat bouncy with the reduced weight. Our tandem was 2.5m long and fitted well, as there is room for adjustment on the rear wheel on the trailer (you load the front wheel next to the boot of the car). However, when going on longer journeys (Scotland to France), vibration could cause friction at the tying down points, so plenty of protection needed, especially sidewalls of tyres. The trailer went with us on Eurotunnel and back, so it won't limit your travelling. 
Jamie Gray2024-08-29 21:59:12

Rachel,

With 4 kids to cart about I went down the trailer route to transport a me n u2 triplet along with another tandem and very successful it was too. I took a lightweight cheap Halfords trailer and had a longer drawbar made by a local engineering company designed for the wheelbase of each bike. It towed very well smoothing out beautifully over about 45 mph. Very secure with clamps for the forks and a rear wheel holder to allow a firm fixing. Used it for about 3 years or so until the kids started on solos. I still have it and you are welcome to take it off my hands for a donation to charity. Yours to collect. I'm in York so let me know if you're interested.