Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Aussies wanting info on tandeming UK / Europe *LINK*

Peter Meers2017-12-28 04:15:22

Hi Poms, you are doing OK in the cricket - in the 4th test anyway!!

Just hoping for some helpful advice about tandem touring in the UK and Europe.
Wife Cheryl and I live in Australia, we are 60 ish and have had a tandem for about 15 years. We have ridden maybe 10000km but not done a lot of touring on our Cannondale MT800.
I also ride tandems with vision impaired people here - see our website and Facebook page.

We are thinking of visiting Uk / Europe for the first time in June-July 2018, and would like to do most of our looking around by tandem.

We are wondering about buying then on-selling a tandem, or hiring one, or bringing our own. Maybe 20-50 mi a day. B&B or similar accommodation. Probably using public transport between rides - I see from your club pages that trains are not always easy but probably similar to Australia - if you get the right sort of carriage and are not in peak times, you can generally be OK. Some have said we should try to get a fold-able tandem - any comment on this?

We would appreciate any advice on:
Options for getting a tandem for our stay.
taking it on trains.
taking it to France
places to ride - we are interested in local experiences and roads less travelled than typical tourist destinations.
Places to stay - accomodation options.
Are there club members interested in hosting some Aussies for a day or two?
Do I need to join your club to best talk with your members?

thanks in advance
Peter Meers
p.c.meers@gmail.com

ExSight Tandems Illawarra (Australia)

clive2018-01-03 12:12:05

I'd bring my own bike unless planning to spend a large amount on a new one, because the supply of S/H is very random and you don't want to spend the first week of your holiday fixing up something.

: We would appreciate any advice on: Options for getting a tandem for our stay.
: taking it on trains.

Hard. Some mainline trains, the Liverpool metro.

: taking it to France

Ferries are fine, not sure about Eurotunnel.

: places to ride - we are interested in local experiences and roads less
: travelled than typical tourist destinations.

We live in a tourist destination - Yorkshire Dales. And we think it offers some of the best riding there is. And IMO there's a reason the typical tourist destinations are there - they're worth a visit. If you want roads less travelled, you could do a tour of the fens/eastern side of the country - but I don't think it would be as interesting :-)

We like the national parks - dales, peaks, lakes, Snowdonia, anything hilly. West coast too. Lots of Scotland. But if you're coming half way round the world, I'd allow a couple of days in London too. My wife is now reminding me the famous museums deserve their accolades.

If you want remote, we found the North Coast 500 was a good route, apart from the A9 Wick to Inverness. Summer only though.

: Places to stay - accomodation options.

Warm showers/couch surfing, Camping, hostel, B+B, pub, cheap hotel, posh hotel. All depends where you are and what your budget is. If you're touring and have chosen your route, the choice each day won't be that huge and will probably be one of the first four.

: Are there club members interested in hosting some Aussies for a day or two?

Are you on Warm Showers?

: Do I need to join your club to best talk with your members?

You seem to be here :-) (I'm not a member either)

Mike Lumb2018-01-15 22:02:16

Have a look at the Hebridean Way, a fantastic ride.
Accommodation available here in North Yorkshire, near Fountains Abbey (look it up!).

Benjamin Steven2018-01-25 11:50:15

We have been using our tandem since 1982, in European countries and the Uk. We used hostels and B&B's mainly. After a few years we decided to have a web site giving information on where we went, how we got there and other information regarding the problem of travel with a tandem. After a few years dormant, the site is being updated with more current travels. Our favourite country now has to be Holland, as we are a little older than you, so flat is better these days, plus they all speak English. We also like Germany and France, but they all get a mention on our site. Scotland is also a favourite as the roads are so much quieter than in England.
Regards

https://valandben.eu

Peter Meers2018-02-11 21:25:47

Hi again. Many thanks to all the helpful feedback, both here and on facebook.

We have firmed up trip plans somewhat. We have booked to fly into Manchester arriving 11 May and fly out of Frankfurst (we have some frinds nearby) on 16 July.

We have decided to BYO tandem. The airline will allow  a 300cm (L+W+D) box as part of 30kg luggae allowance. The old box I have is exactly this size :)

We have signed up to Warm Showers app, so if any Tandem Club UK-er plan to visit Australia, there is one extra accommodation option now!

Now to plan out a travel route.....

Always keen to hear about peoples ride suggestions. From what has been suggested so far we need either a motor in the bike, or 12 months!! ah choices!