Tandem 2017 - UK National Rally
Saturday 27th May - Saturday 3rd June
Thornton Hall Country Park
The Site - OS Landranger Map 103 Grid Reference SD 903482
The 2017 Tandem Club National Rally was held on the rally field at Thornton Hall Country Park, a farm visitor attraction aimed at young children. The farm is just outside the Yorkshire Dales National Park and the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty at Thornton-In-Craven between Barnoldswick and Skipton.
Thornton Hall Country Park, Thornton-in-Craven, near Skipton North Yorkshire, BD23 3TS.
A full range of activities took place during the rally the rally including:
- On the Sunday evening we meet the team from JD Tandems and had a talk from Lands End to John O'Groats tandem record holder Dom Irvine. JD Tandems were on-site each day to help out with any mechanical issues.
- Quiz night
- Tandem games
- Velocio trophy (a treasure hunt style ride)
- Ghosts and Legends talk by Simon Entwhistle on Ghosts and legends of the area
- Visit to the Hope Factory, manufacturers of cycle components
- Barn Dance on the final night with hot pot supper.
There was no organised coach trip for the Wednesday but there were plenty of options for a day out from local castles to preserved railways to a day trip on the Leeds Liverpool canal or a walk in the Dales. The site was close to a bus stop for buses to Skipton or Clitheroe.
Pictures/Videos and Audio
The rides provided a real variety of scenery ranging from the industrial heritage of the Leeds - Liverpool canal to Elizabethan Halls, quaint villages and the spectacular Yorkshire Dales with the potential to see such icons as the Ribblehead viaduct and Malham Cove along the way. The rides varied in length from 22 miles to 64 miles with many options in between.
If you missed the rally but would like to try out the routes they are available here.
Map showing location of Thornton Hall Country Park