Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Creaking eccentric BB

Jon Watt2019-09-29 17:01:57

Any tips for stopping this creaking? I've taken it out half a dozen times now. Thoroughly cleaned, regreased, re-fitted. More creaking. Bike is fairly new, frame all looks very solid. It's the type with two bolts that screw through the frame and press against the BB.

Thanks.

Achim Gloger2019-09-29 17:39:51

Jon,

what's the name of the frame manufacturer? Are you having trouble with a solo or a tandem? If it's the latter, what creaks: the captain's or the stockers BB or both? Do you know whether the BBs are BST (threaded) or some PressFit derivative? If it's the latter, commiserations... They are fixable, but it's a hassle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryhuHkbb-o

Good luck,

Achim

James wilson2019-09-29 18:30:19

Sounds crazy, but remove pedals and wrap threads with teflon tape (plumbers tape). Had the same issue with my Bianchi road bike. Starts to creak/groan when tape working deeper into threads. Just enough thread difference in the crank and pedals. 3-4 wraps.....

Jon Watt2019-09-30 12:20:20

Achim, it's an Orbit tandem. It's the captain's BB. The eccentric body slides in, the actual BB screws in as normal to that. The BB is brand new as my initial assumption was that was the cause of the creak. 

David Hammond2019-09-30 12:39:14

Had this problem with my solo. Check the chainring bolts are tight.  

Achim Gloger2019-09-30 13:04:23

Jon, follow the above tips first, then

- remove chainrings, rotate clockwise one screw hole, tighten chainring bolts

If that doesn't solve things,

- tighten seatpost

- remove cranks, rotate 90 degrees on square taper axle, dabing a bit of blue Loctite on the mating surfaces, then retorque to manufacturer's spec (probably 35-40Nm)

If that doesn't help either, contact Orbit or your retailer and ask them to check whether the BB has been faced properly

If the bike is under warranty, I'd let the retailer sort this out  

Good luck!

adam robinson2019-09-30 13:14:07

I had this problem on both my Thorn tourer and tandem - tightening down the set screws that hold the bottom bracket shell in place stopped in both cases. The eccentric bracket holder should be positioned such that the screws do not press into the thinner part, then you can give them a decent tighten. Overtightening can damage the bottom bracket - the manual says 10-17 Nm.