Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Claud Butler Tandem Age

Paul Murray2019-02-04 19:02:43

I have a Claud Butler Tandem that I had restored a couple of years ago, but I have never researched the age so was hoping someone can advise 

The serial number is 741777 

Any help appreciated

Paul Murray2019-02-04 19:13:31
Paul Murray2019-02-04 19:14:15
Paul Murray2019-02-04 19:15:42
Paul Murray2019-02-04 19:17:39
Mark Silver2019-02-08 12:15:09

This looks to me like an early Claud. I would it expect it to have been built a couple of years either side of 1938. Unlikely to be post-war.

As an aside, I notice that you have fitted a Chater Lea headclamp, which is a lovely bit of kit but isn't what it came out the factory with. It would of had a Brampton pattern one, which has a  slightly larger diameter, which would match the head lug. Not many Clauds had Chater heads, neasrly all had the same as yours.

Similarly the standard front changer I fear won't function correctly. This is because the curved tube positions the mechanism too far forward, so the chain is already engaged on the chainring. The current TC journal mentions an excellent modification to get around this, or another way would be to drive the rear wheel from the front cranks. This 'French' way doesn't look so pretty, involves a lot more chain but lasts a ridiculously long time. Our touring tandem transmission has done many thousands of miles like this without needing any part replacing.

Paul Murray2019-02-08 15:45:20

Great observation, I have a couple of questions 

• I have had the fron mech changed recently as I had this problem, but now runs perfectly, how was the mod made as I dont have the journal you talk about
  • Again new to this restoring stuff and I am interested in the Brampton pattern you talk about, the Chater Lea headclamp was fitted when I bought the frame, so just had it rechromed.
I am guessing my restoration adding modern parts might not be to eveyones taste, but I am keen to regularly use it and want to be able to get spares if needed. I have also recently had the downshifters replaced with Sora shifters and increasing the number of rear gears. All works a treat now. It just feels safer at speed when changing gears. Given we have been racing this in time trials wanted that extra security.
Paul Murray2019-02-08 15:58:58

Great observation, I have a couple of questions 

• I have had the fron mech changed recently as I had this problem, but now runs perfectly, how was the mod made as I dont have the journal you talk about
  • Again new to this restoring stuff and I am interested in the Brampton pattern you talk about, the Chater Lea headclamp was fitted when I bought the frame, so just had it rechromed.
I am guessing my restoration adding modern parts might not be to eveyones taste, but I am keen to regularly use it and want to be able to get spares if needed. I have also recently had the downshifters replaced with Sora shifters and increasing the number of rear gears. All works a treat now. It just feels safer at speed when changing gears. Given we have been racing this in time trials wanted that extra security.