Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Sportive events

Mark Fitzpatrick2017-11-03 19:24:11

Hi
I've entered a few sportives on my solo road bike, and really fancy doing a couple next year on my tandem. Are tandems welcomed in Sportive type events, any advice, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barry Wilson2017-11-06 15:44:30

They are OK in Audax's so probably in Sportives. Remember both must enter and hence both must pay.

Mark Fitzpatrick2017-11-06 17:24:04

Thanks for that Barry

Jim and Kate Ledger2017-11-17 17:59:29

Hi Kate and I enter 4/5 sportives a year, some are charity events and other organised by Wiggle. Tandems are always welcome and you get to ride with loads of different people, some events like the New Forest have a 1000 starters.

I have never paid for Kate as they only issue 1 id number per bike and we always take our own food so if questioned at the food stop it is not an issue, but never have been, they are usually more interested in talking about the bike.

If you live in the South East let me know and I'll send the dates of any we enter so you can join us.

Jim

Mark Fitzpatrick2017-11-17 19:51:59

: Hi Kate and I enter 4/5 sportives a year, some are charity events and other
: organised by Wiggle. Tandems are always welcome and you get to ride with
: loads of different people, some events like the New Forest have a 1000
: starters.

: I have never paid for Kate as they only issue 1 id number per bike and we
: always take our own food so if questioned at the food stop it is not an
: issue, but never have been, they are usually more interested in talking
: about the bike.

: If you live in the South East let me know and I'll send the dates of any we
: enter so you can join us.

: Jim

Hi Jim

Many thanks for the information and advice. I have done a few Sportives on my road bike, but do really fancy doing a couple on our new tandem. I have always found the camaraderie and sense of fun, with a little competition really enjoyable.

We live way north of you (Derbyshire), but if we ever find ourselves coming down your way, I'll try and arrange to join you both.

Thanks again.

Mark

Paul Smart2017-12-06 13:33:00

My wife and I have entered numerous Sportive events this year, most notably "Ride London" which was brilliant. Some sportives you both have to enter and pay, and some only one pays. I always clear this with the organiser ahead of the ride. Generally if its for charity we either both pay, or one pays and we take our own food.

We find riding the tandem on sportives is a great experience, mostly we are the only tandem entry and the friendliness of all the solo riders as they drift behind you is quite up lifting :) great fun and never a dull moment, we have decided we will always tandem on the Sportives in future.

Solo riders ignore other solo riders, but they never ignore a tandem coming past them ... ;-)

Mark Fitzpatrick2017-12-08 08:46:24

: My wife and I have entered numerous Sportive events this year, most notably
: "Ride London" which was brilliant. Some sportives you both have
: to enter and pay, and some only one pays. I always clear this with the
: organiser ahead of the ride. Generally if its for charity we either both
: pay, or one pays and we take our own food.

: We find riding the tandem on sportives is a great experience, mostly we are
: the only tandem entry and the friendliness of all the solo riders as they
: drift behind you is quite up lifting :) great fun and never a dull moment,
: we have decided we will always tandem on the Sportives in future.

: Solo riders ignore other solo riders, but they never ignore a tandem coming
: past them ... ;-)

Hi Paul

Many thanks for the info, its much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Pauline Casey2017-12-09 08:37:26

Like you, Martin & I originally did sportives on solo bikes and did the occasional one our old Swallow tandem. We found we enjoyed the tandem more because we stayed together round the course. We bought a light weight tandem just over a year ago which we now use. We find we get so much support and encouragement round the course from the other riders, who also enjoy our back wheel. We did the Tour O the Boarders closed road sportive from Peebles and there were 5 tandems on that. Wish we saw more tandems on Sportives.

Mark Fitzpatrick2017-12-10 18:51:02

: Like you, Martin & I originally did sportives on solo bikes and did the
: occasional one our old Swallow tandem. We found we enjoyed the tandem more
: because we stayed together round the course. We bought a light weight
: tandem just over a year ago which we now use. We find we get so much
: support and encouragement round the course from the other riders, who also
: enjoy our back wheel. We did the Tour O the Boarders closed road sportive
: from Peebles and there were 5 tandems on that. Wish we saw more tandems on
: Sportives.

Hi
Many thanks for the info & encouragement. I will definitely look to see if we can enter some Sportives in 2018 on the "two seater"!