List All Forums
Help

Account

Pictures

ITR 2013 - Breakfast
ITR 2013 - Breakfast

Forsale

Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. See our help information here for more information.

Ending of Insurance provision for TC members

mark tipping2017-05-27 17:00:57

The following message has appeared on the Tandem Club homepage without any explanation to members who have paid for membership including insurance cover in advance, most for several years at a time, having been told their membership fees included third party cover whilst cycling within the UK. Has the Club policy lapsed or been cancelled?

"After many years we have been unable to re-new the member’s third party insurance cover. This has come about due to changes in U.K. law which changes the level of liability which needs to be covered. Please note that this cover is withdrawn immediately. Check your home insurance policy as you may find you are covered under that. Other member’s benefits remain unchanged."

I am completely unaware of any changes in the UK law on Insurance provision and would ask that the club official who has decided to cancel cover issues an immediate explanation detailing which law has changed and what effect this has had which resulted in immediate withdrawal of the cover.

Cycling UK and Britsh Cycling websites are both still offering the same sort of 3rd party cover to their members, and Cycling UK state it also covers affiliates, which I had always thought was how the TC was covered anyway.

M Tipping

Achim Gloger2017-05-27 20:11:52

Thank you for the heads-up.

My membership is up for renewal. Unless an explanation is offered soon I probably will not renew. Same membership + fewer benefits = no renewal.

Andrew Woodroffe2017-05-28 12:39:47

Fully agree, it is not enough to just put a notice on the website with no explanation. Insurance cover is the major benefit of membership and without it I suspect many people will not bother renewing

Tony Prichard2017-05-28 21:14:14

: Fully agree, it is not enough to just put a notice on the website with no
: explanation. Insurance cover is the major benefit of membership and
: without it I suspect many people will not bother renewing

This was not a Tandem Club decision but was removed by our insurers at renewal. We have discussed this at length with our brokers without reaching a satisfactory solutuion. Most of the committee are at the National Rally and it will be discussed at the next committee meeting in a couple of weeks time. We are as disappointed as the rest of the membership and will do our utmost to resolve the situation and keep the membership informed of progress. However it was felt important that the position was made clear at the earliest opportunity.

Andrew Woodroffe2017-05-28 21:31:45

Tony, I appreciate this was not something you wanted and comes at a difficult time with key people at the rally. However, many members would have ridden this weekend without insurance cover unknowingly. In today's litigious society that could be a problem. Perhaps an email to members would have been a better approach then at least those who are concerned could make alternative arrangements

clive2017-05-30 00:54:09

: Tony, I appreciate this was not something you wanted and comes at a difficult
: time with key people at the rally. However, many members would have ridden
: this weekend without insurance cover unknowingly. In today's litigious
: society that could be a problem. Perhaps an email to members would have
: been a better approach then at least those who are concerned could make
: alternative arrangements

It's worth noting that house contents cover will give you third party insurance, so even in today's litigious society it's rather less likely to be a problem than it may seem at first sight.

Matt Hodges2017-05-29 10:27:27

: My membership is up for renewal. Unless an explanation is offered soon I
: probably will not renew. Same membership + fewer benefits = no renewal.

It certainly won't affect my renewing. I didn't even realise there was third party cover from TC membership. I have always relied on CTC third party cover.
For the little it costs I think the magazine and the local contacts are good value.

mark tipping2017-05-29 16:35:06

Tony,
Thanks for the further information - I am afraid the withdrawal of cover at renewal date by the underwriter is very different from with the TC website message stating a change in the law had ended our third party cover.

I am curious having seen what has happened to a new cycling club trying to get insurance cover recently, and wonder if there is a common link, it seems folk outside the TC know lots more about our previous cover than the TC members, and perhaps know more about why our cover has been ended and why they have been prevented from commencing cover.

From TCC (Touring Cyclist Club) forum a post dated 28 April 2017 as a sit. rep. to members (I am one) a link for the webpage and pasted below the relevant passage.
http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=289.0

"Following initial expressions of interest from over 420 people, 160 registered Forum members and 288 members joining to contribute modest seed funding these notes are summary of where we are as at today, 28 April 2017.

A lot of effort has been put in by the founders, with contributions from a small initial group - however progress has been slow and thwarted in some areas.

1 Insurance

The most significant requirement that potential TCC members identified was personal third-party insurance on a par with that available from other cycling organisations. It was expected that TCC membership would be offered at a basic rate and a slightly higher rate to include third-party insurance.

After numerous enquiries it seems that all roads lead to just one broker/provider, Butterworth Spengler. We experienced considerable delay in even getting a reply to our enquiry for a group scheme where we expected to have hundreds of members - eventually we received an answer: Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunately we are unable to assist due to agreements we have with our other associations.

There was also a proposal from another insurer that agreed to provide a suitable group policy for third-party insurance. We decided to proceed but when the project got beyond the sales people it turned out that the cover was only available as part of a member package that was really for cycle theft with third-party as an afterthought . . . not only was that unsuitable it was also (as most cycle theft insurances) at exorbitant rates.

The Tandem Club membership on the face of it offers insurance within its very modest annual membership fee but we were told by the provider that it is “cover of last resort” and not a “given” - we understand that it is based on the probability that any member would have cover from another organisation, or as is almost universal - cover under a household policy.

So, at present we are at a brick wall with insurance."