All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

26 inch rim recommendations

Tim Hall2012-09-02 11:14:24

Having suffered the excitement of the side wall breaking off our rear wheel, I'm after recommendations for a replacement 26 inch rim for the Pino. Current rim is a Mavic EX721 but it's only available in black and disc braked version these days.

So what are the panel's choices for an eyeleted 26 inch 36h rim in silver for tandem use?

Dave Willis2012-09-02 13:32:18

: Having suffered the excitement of the side wall breaking off our rear wheel,
: I'm after recommendations for a replacement 26 inch rim for the Pino.
: Current rim is a Mavic EX721 but it's only available in black and disc
: braked version these days.

: So what are the panel's choices for an eyeleted 26 inch 36h rim in silver for
: tandem use?

What brakes do you use?

Tim Hall2012-09-02 16:57:28

: What brakes do you use?

Good point, Magura hydraulic rim brakes.

Dave Willis2012-09-02 17:06:22

: Good point, Magura hydraulic rim brakes.

Just curious because we broke the rim on one of our tandems the other week with v brakes. There was no wear on the rim as such so I was just wondering if there is too much power in a v brake or maybe a poorly set brake might crush a rim.

clive2012-09-03 12:38:14

: Just curious because we broke the rim on one of our tandems the other week
: with v brakes. There was no wear on the rim as such so I was just
: wondering if there is too much power in a v brake or maybe a poorly set
: brake might crush a rim.

I reckon maguras will give more force than Vs :-)

The only way I can see a poorly set brake crushing an adequate rim is if it's too high, and that's going to hit the tyre first.

If the rim wasn't worn, it was defective. Got any photos of the damage? How thin was the rim at the point of failure?

For the OP, Rhyno or rhyno-lite seem not too bad heavy choices.

Dave Willis2012-09-03 17:29:29

: I reckon maguras will give more force than Vs :-)

: The only way I can see a poorly set brake crushing an adequate rim is if it's
: too high, and that's going to hit the tyre first.

: If the rim wasn't worn, it was defective. Got any photos of the damage? How
: thin was the rim at the point of failure?

: For the OP, Rhyno or rhyno-lite seem not too bad heavy choices.

I don't unfortunately. We were on a steep decent when the rim went about a foot of rim smashed through the brake block and peeled back the other way. I think the wife was luck not to get speared in the leg. (didn't tell her how close it was of course). The strip was 3-4mm wide I suppose.

clive2012-09-03 17:44:46

: I don't unfortunately. We were on a steep decent when the rim went about a
: foot of rim smashed through the brake block and peeled back the other way.
: I think the wife was luck not to get speared in the leg. (didn't tell her
: how close it was of course). The strip was 3-4mm wide I suppose.

Yeuch. Does sound like a classic wear failure though - it gets thin about halfway down the brake block track then splits there. And it's not the brakes crushing it, it's the tyre forcing the rim outwards - which would give what you describe.

Shimano brake blocks?

(I've been lucky with mine - I normally spot the slight widening of the rim before it cracks)

2019-05-04 07:24:10

What 36 spoke rim with a 100 kg load, would be recomended for a Schwalbe marathon supreme  HS469 559*42 tyre (100 kg rated) as this is the largest tyre to fit the rear forks.

Has anyone tried a Ryde Andra 30 (130 kg rider+ luggage) or the Andra 40 (180 kg total)

Riding on East coast USA and Canada gravel rail trails

Chris Peachey2019-05-04 10:13:07

Notes on rims...

Some are disc only. The sidewalls would be too thin for rim brakes.

Rim failure due to wear should be obvious. The sidewall will probably look gouged or concave.

The internal width limits suitable tyre sizes. If a 32mm tyre was fitted to the Andra 40 rim there would be a risk of cornering on the rim! Conversely a wide tyre on a norrow rim would roll off quite easily.

26" tyre sizes start at about 35mm whereas 700c tyres run from about 20mm to 35mm max so if you want wide tyres you choose 26" rims.

Andra rims are not common in the UK so it's unlikely UK Tandem Club members could comment on their use.

Regards

Chris (Tandem Club Technical officer)

2019-05-04 13:20:53

What 36 spoke 19 to 25 mm inside width disk only rim, with a 100 kg load, would be recomended for a Schwalbe marathon supreme  HS469 559*42 tyre (100 kg rated) as this is the largest tyre to fit the rear forks.

What is the recomended rim inside width for a 42 mm wide 26" tyre?