All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Grub screws for cable splitters

Tim Dowson2017-11-26 23:38:05

I've had difficulty tightening the little screws holding gear and brake cables into the front end of cable splitters - they don't seem to accept any standard allen keys, which means I can't tighten them properly and the cable has pulled out on occasion. I wonder if this is from a bit of corrosion of the screw head, but I haven't managed to get any replacements. Buying a whole new connector is one option, but is there anywhere I could get new screws? Or, any other ideas to stop this happening?

mark tipping2017-11-28 17:55:02

I am assuming I have not missed 1st April somewhere here...............

Cable joiners tended to be found on very old tandems in my experience - I presume you have tried imperial allen keys - metric will obviously not fit anything made pre 60's

Tim Dowson2017-11-29 22:36:46

: I am assuming I have not missed 1st April somewhere here...............

: Cable joiners tended to be found on very old tandems in my experience - I
: presume you have tried imperial allen keys - metric will obviously not fit
: anything made pre 60's

Maybe your experience did slip up, and not just in April. It seems not to have come across the 21st century bikes with S&S couplings which are overwhelmingly if not uniformly metric, and need cable splitters for their rear cables.

WCC2018-01-15 12:31:50

Hi.

Maybe a bit late now, have you tried the tiny grub screws you get in V-brake arms (to tension the springs) ?Some of mine are flush grub screws as opposed to a headed bolt. Or the high / low limit adjuster screws you get on font / rear gear changers. If the size /thread is the same they might work, I just got rid of a load of the above to recyc-ya-bike!

Ebay has loads of grub screws, (including some imperial) if you could work out the thread size / pitch.

Tim Dowson2018-03-10 20:04:43

Thanks Chris - I'll keep an eye out but the old V brakes tension screws I have all are headed. I decided to try filing down the 6 sides of one of my 2mm allen keys and it seems to work fine now! So it's colour coded for this spedific job but I'll look out for more grub screws too.