All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Tandem cycling book.

Jeremy Derby2017-08-23 19:08:49

I'm looking for a book on all aspects of tandem cycling techniques, sitting, standing, cornering, hill climbing etc. Nothing too technical.
Can anyone reccomend any titles ?

Cheers Jeremy.

Ian Aldred2017-08-29 10:46:10

: I'm looking for a book on all aspects of tandem cycling techniques, sitting,
: standing, cornering, hill climbing etc. Nothing too technical.
: Can anyone reccomend any titles ?

: Cheers Jeremy.

As indicated by the lack of immediate responses including reams of recommended reading material, I am not sure there is anything covering your requirements, at least not that I know of. I think it will have to be picking up experience while riding, searching and asking questions on sites like this and the internet generally, and meeting and talking to as many other tandemists as possible, perhaps at Tandem Club or other club events. A search through previous threads on this forum might be a start as I am sure there have been discussions on many of the subject areas. I am sure any specific questions will also get responses, and probably differing opinions!

Good luck with your search.

mark tipping2017-08-30 10:39:32

There is a beginners guide to starting off on a tandem in the FAQ of the members section of this website. Most dealers offer similar advice to first time tandem buyers.
I do not know of any books about riding a tandem, I suspect this is because there is so little to say. Apart from routines that quickly become habit for mount/dismount and setting off there is no difference between tandem riding and solo riding, although verbal communication with a strong stoker prior to gear changes helps.

DO NOT ride with a TC group and ask! You will get ten differing pieces of advice from five tandem crews. One of the lovely things about tandem riding is it's attraction to pairs of ardent individualists.

Mark

Barry Wilson2017-08-31 13:48:18

You could sign up for one of the beginners courses then you'll get to ask questions directly. I think they are mainly geared towards potential buyers but you could ask and see. Click on the buttons to the right of the page.

Richard Irving2017-09-25 12:36:35

: I'm looking for a book on all aspects of tandem cycling techniques, sitting,
: standing, cornering, hill climbing etc. Nothing too technical.
: Can anyone reccomend any titles ?

: Cheers Jeremy.

There is an interesting chapter on tandem design which makes observations on riding insofar as it affects tandem frame design. The book I am thinking of is 'Touring Bikes' by Tony Oliver. Out of print now but available via your local library.