All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Insurance Cover for Tandems

John Saunders2017-03-30 11:37:02

I have viewed with interest the messages concerning Tandem Insurance and while at the last Cycle Show in London I got talking with Broker who was using Axa insurance with Pedalcover, I took the interest and have done a comparison which seems worthwhile making a move.

They increased the excess on the Buildings and Contents policy but advised on a separate policy to cover this excess ( which also covers any excess on a car policy ! )

This would cover all bikes up to £10,000 single item, having tried to cover our Tandem at a price which would have enabled a new one to be bought in 8 years this seems a good move.

Has anyone had any experience of this cover.......any tips ?

Kim Hart2017-04-12 19:42:15

We are now insured with pedal cover. Our renewal with John Lewis came through at an eye watering £700. A quick google search came up with pedal,cover. I did the online enquiry and they rang me straight back on a Saturday afternoon. They talked me through everything in depth and again with my husband the following Monday. Our bikes are now covered at a better level than they have ever been and they also saved us £350 on our renewal.

John Saunders2017-04-13 10:18:46

: We are now insured with pedal cover. Our renewal with John Lewis came through
: at an eye watering £700. A quick google search came up with pedal,cover. I
: did the online enquiry and they rang me straight back on a Saturday
: afternoon. They talked me through everything in depth and again with my
: husband the following Monday. Our bikes are now covered at a better level
: than they have ever been and they also saved us £350 on our renewal.

I am pleased to hear your result....well done, it just goes to show someone with an interest and a foot in the right market can benefit us all !!

Paul Eden2017-05-16 15:28:15

Have just take out a buildings/contents insurance with Pedalcover after reading these post.Been with M&S/Axa for a number of years with unnamed bikes covered up to £2000.The new policy covers me for £15000 worth of bikes,just naming the most expensive.It covers accidental damage and riding time trials,sportive,triathlons ,but not road,track or mountain bike racing.
Pedalcover saved me over £200 on my renewal and guess what the new policy is underwritten by Axa ! Evidently they are a small group of cyclists based in South Wales so they talk our language and are very efficient and helpful.If you mention you heard about them on our website you will get 10% discount.We received two pairs of cycling socks and a waterproof phone cover,along with all the paperwork inside 24hours of completing the business by phone.

Steven2017-07-06 14:16:10

Hi

I am new to tandem but have many years solo riding.
I have never done any touring though.
I will be going on my first mini tour this weekend camping
but so far no one will insure the bike unless it is secured to an immovable object which will be a difficult when camping. Even Pedalsure have told me this.
Mostly I can see the bike lying on the ground outside the tent with a D lock between frame and rear wheel and hopefully a motion alarm if it arrives today.
Any other suggestions for insurance.

regards
steve

Robert Wade2017-07-06 14:36:50

Steve,

As hard as it is, I'm afraid that's the way it is. An insurance company would not cover your house if you left the doors open, so they won't insure a bike or tandem that someone can easily walk away with. So you need to take the risk that it won't get stolen as an insurance company will not, as you are unable to guarantee that.

Most also insist that it must be locked with a Gold Secure lock and locked to an immovable even when left in a locked garage or shed.

Unfortunately the more expensive bikes that are stolen the more we all have to pay in premiums.

Rob

Steven2017-07-06 14:56:53

Hi Rob

Since I posted this I had a last ditched conversation with the house insurance.
They will insure it provided it is immobilised. After much waiting for clarification on what immobilising means and requirements.....
As long as one of the wheels is removed and secured to the other wheel and frame at the same time with a sold gold secure lock.
I was planning on removing the rohloff rear wheel anyway.
An extra £16 until insurance is renewed in November.

Problem sorted.....

Regards
Steve

Matt Hodges2017-07-06 22:16:18

Is insurance for your tandem worthwhile?
For many years now I have adopted a policy of only insuring where it in mandatory ie car insurance or those other things where I couldn't possibly accept the risk myself. In over 25 years tandeming the money I have saved by not insuring would buy me several new tandems.
Always remember an insurance salesman is like a man who will hire you an umbrella when the sun is shining but takes it back at the first sign of rain.
I have third party cover because if I seriously injure someone the compensation would break me. Losing my tandem would be painful but I could soon get over it and buy another.
We did have a few things stolen from a pannier but it wasn't the value that was the problem it was finding replacements quickly in a strange town. Insurance wouldn't have solved that problem.
Matt

clive2017-07-07 12:14:10

: Is insurance for your tandem worthwhile?
: For many years now I have adopted a policy of only insuring where it in
: mandatory ie car insurance or those other things where I couldn't possibly
: accept the risk myself. In over 25 years tandeming the money I have saved
: by not insuring would buy me several new tandems.

Beat me to it! I've been self-insuring our tandems for years now, mostly when getting a sensible insurer became too hard. (can't change house contents insurer sensibly for other reasons, and they don't like bikes). If I'd got dedicated bike insurance, I'd be well behind by now - that's never been good value.