|The Tandem Club was formed in the UK in 1971 primarily to provide otherwise unobtainable spare parts and technical advice on how to maintain the older machines. This is still an important function but since then the Club has developed along with the increased interest in tandems, extending the range of services and benefits it offers to its members, and currently the Club has a world wide membership of over 5,000 members.
Throughout the UK over 40 Regional Officers organise Tandem Club activities on a local basis. They can be contacted to find out what is happening in their area or for advice on how to arrange activities.
Both within and outside the UK there are members who are willing to give advice to members touring in their country and to provide emergency assistance.
Many national events are organised by members throughout the year in the UK, and events are arranged from time to time, usually every year, in another European country. Details of these events are published in the Club's bi-monthly Journal and are shown in Major TC Events and the What's On Guide.
A committee of volunteers devote their time free, to running the Club.
Members of the Club benefit from: -
You do not have to own a tandem to join the Club. Many people in fact become members to learn more about tandems, before buying one to suit their own individual needs (see Tandem Buying and Tandem Hiring).
- The bi-monthly Journal mentioned above - packed with news and views on the tandeming scene, with everything for the tandem enthusiast from technical advice, maintenance and tandem touring to sales and wants.
- A Handbook - full of information about tandems with a special section on spares.
- A Calendar of Events - including family rides/day rides, weekend hostelling/camping and a yearly national tandem holiday/international event.
- A strong and active network of local groups organising day or weekend events.
- Time Trials and Hill Climbs - specially organised with the competitive tandemists in mind, or for those who would just like to have a go. A register of Club Records is maintained.
- An International Network of Members offering emergency assistance.
- Advice for disabled or handicapped riders - including a taped cassette edition of the Journal for people who are visually handicapped.
- Third party insurance cover - as a Tandem Club member, you are covered by the Club's insurance whenever you are cycling socially in the UK. Insurance cover is still in place, of course, for all members at all Club rallies. Details can be found in the Insurance section of the Member's Area.
The annual subscription is a modest one, so why not join the Tandem Club today.